Justia Lawyer Rating
AVVO Clients' Choice
Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
Massachusetts Bar Association

Should I Report My Workers’ Comp Injury?

The answer is Yes.  As soon as possible.  

Injuries that take place in the workplace come in many forms.  They can be minor and simple, such as scrapes and bruises.  They can also be severe and traumatic.  Sometimes they can even result in death.


When Should I Get A Workers Comp Lawyer?

You have just sustained an injury on the job.  You are now out of work.  The two most important questions on your mind are probably 1) Am I going to get better, and 2) Will I be paid while I’m out of work.

In a perfect world, immediately following your work related injury, your employer will file a first report of injury. This is the first step in initiating the workers’ compensation benefits.  Once they file the first report of injury, the workers compensation insurer, who insurers the employer in the event of a work-related injury, is put on notice.  In this perfect world, the insurer will then initiate the payment of weekly benefits within 14 days.  Furthermore, any and all treatment related to this injury will be paid for by the workers comp insurer, thus facilitating a quick recovery and a quick return to work.


How Long Can I Receive Workers’ Compensation Benefits?

This is another frequently asked question that comes up many times over the life of a Workers’ Comp case.  While reasonable and related medical benefits for a person who sustained an injury at work can potentially last indefinitely, this question is most often referring to how long can an injured employee remain on weekly disability benefits.  In other words, they are usually asking, how long can I be paid for.

The Massachusetts Workers’ Comp. Law is found at M.G.L. Chapter 152.  This statute was originally enacted during the early 1900s, and has undergone a series of updates, revisions, and changes since that time.  Today, there are 3 main sections that exist in the law which govern how long an injured employee can receive a weekly check.  They are Sections 34, 35, and 34A.


What to do when your Employer tries to get you to return to work?

You’ve sustained an injury on the job causing you to go out of work.  You are currently receiving workers’ compensation benefits.  You’ve been receiving medical treatment, through workers’ compensation, which has been slow.  Both you and your doctor feel that you are unable to return to work.  However, you’re employer begins contacting you about returning to work.

These situations are quite common, but unfortunately, there is no one single correct answer.  Every injury is different.  Every Employee is different.  Every doctor is different.  And, most importantly, every Employer is different.  There is simply no way to know exactly how any given Employer is going to react under the circumstances.

Continue reading ›


How Does A Disability Pension Through My Employer Affect My Workers’ Comp Benefits?

This is a very common scenario.  Many times, a public Employee who sustains a work-related injury is entitled to a “Disability Pension” in addition to workers’ compensation benefits under M.G.L. Chapter 152.

A “Public” employee works for a City, Town, State or Municipality.  These “Public” employers have pension systems in place, for the benefit of the their employees.  These pension systems more often than not, substitute Social Security, although, there are circumstances in which the Employee can receive both.  These systems often have pensions for injuries that occur both in the course of employment, such as a slip and fall at work, as well as non-work related injuries, such as if the employee were involved in a car accident on his or her own time.


Every year, the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) hosts a one-day seminar focused on Workers’ Compensation Practice in Massachusetts.  The day is broken into several sessions focusing on relevant topics in Workers’ Compensation Practice, both in Massachusetts as well as on the national level.  Attorney William H. Troupe of the Troupe Law Office was once again asked to speak on the panel dealing with Benefit Enhancers.

This panel deals with a very important topic under the Massachusetts Workers’ Comp Law.  M.G.L. Chapter 152 provides only a limited amount of benefits to an injured worker.  However, it is important for any practitioner of Workers’ Comp law, to familiarize themselves with the various ways in which these benefits can be increased or maximized as much as possible.  Some common examples are concurrent employment, prevailing wage claims, Section 35B, etc.

Joining him on this panel were two Judges at the Department of Industrial Accidents:  Hon. David G. Braithwaite, and Hon. William C. Harpin.  Also on the panel were two experienced Workers’ Compensation practitioners:  Alan S. Pierce, Esq., and Mark H. Likoff, Esq.


What Are My Chances of Getting Approved For Social Security Disability Benefits?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions we are asked when interviewing potential clients.  Unfortunately, it is also one of the most difficult questions to answer.

People who are injured or have a medical condition that makes them unable to work for a living are potentially eligible for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits.  To qualify, first, the individual must have worked under the Social Security System for a requisite period of time.  This is called having sufficient “quarters” to qualify for SSD.  For most people, you must have 40 quarters to qualify.  So, If you have the sufficient quarters, you could be eligible to receive SSD.


When Is The Right Time To Get A Workers’ Compensation Attorney?

People who have sustained a work-related injury, which puts them out of work indefinitely, have immediate concerns.  The first, and probably most important question is, will I be able to sustain myself, financially, while I’m out of work.  This is precisely why Workers’ Compensation benefits exist; to provide financial, and medical, security while the injured employee remains out of work.

However, the period immediately following a work injury is an extremely confusing period.  In addition to dealing with the actual injury and resultant medical care, workers’ compensation insurance companies almost instinctively swarm the injured employee with paperwork, forms, etc.  This is because these insurance companies go to work immediately to try and defend themselves against a potential claim.  That is why it is imperative that any injured employee contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible.


Part 1 of this blog dealt with how weekly workers’ compensation benefits and monthly Social Security Disability benefits can offset each other.  But what happens if you settle your workers’ comp case?

In Part 1, we used an exmaple of someone in an “offset situation.”  That individual was receiving both weekly workers’ comp benefits at the rate of $500 per week, and a monthly SSD check for $633.35.  In this example, his full SSD rate, or PIA, was supposed to be much higher, at $1,200 per month.  But, because of his receipt of weekly workers’ comp checks, he was in offset, and thus, his SSD benefit was reduced.

If this individual were to “settle” his workers’ comp case, he would cease to receive a weekly workers’ comp check. Rather, he would receive a final lump sum cash payment to close out/settle his case.  The question then becomes, what effect does this settlement have on his ongoing Social Security Disability benefit.


The Short answer is “Yes.”

However, depending upon certain factors, one may not be able to collect his or her Social Security Disability benefit in full.  This is because the receipt of weekly workers’ compensation benefits under M.G.L. Chapter 152 can create an “offset” on Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits.  In other words, workers comp benefits could cut in to and thereby reduce one’s social security disability benefits.  Sometimes, it can eliminate Social Security Disability altogether.

To determine whether or not someone is in an offset situation, you must first determine that person’s high year of income.   This is done one of two ways.  Either, you would take that persons highest year of income within the 5 years prior to being injured, or you would take the average of his income within the past 20 years; whichever is highest.  Let’s say, for example, that an individual were injured in 2011, and between 2006 and 2010, his highest year of income was $42,000mass-state-house